Important energy and environmental announcements made by the UK Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown in his Budget statement included:
- An increase in the climate change levy, in line with inflation, from 1 April 2007.
- An extra 250,000 installations of subsidised insulation in British homes over the next two years
- Funding for local authority-led publicity and incentive schemes for energy efficiency
- Trialling the use of 'smart' energy meters
- A new voluntary initiative with major retailers to reduce the energy use of consumer electronics.
- A new National Institute of Energy Technologies, in partnership with the private sector.
- An additional £50 million to develop microgeneration technologies and the launch of a consultation document on the barriers to large-scale commercial deployment in the UK of carbon capture and storage.
- Reforms to the tax on road vehicle (vehicle excise duty - VED) to sharpen environmental incentives.
Full details can be found here
and the full Budget speech here